Potential Causes and Solutions
1. Do patients often come to you asking about constipation?
This is a very frequent complaint. On average one in four adults suffer from some degree of constipation in the United States. I hear this complaint very frequently, with about a third of my patients inquiring about what to do to help with constipation.
2. What are the five most common causes of constipation?
- Lifestyle (not enough fiber, liquids and exercise)
- Side effects of medications
- Gastrointestinal disorders: irritable bowel syndrome and functional constipation
- Manifestations of endocrine disorders (diabetes or hypothyroidism) or neurological disorders (parkinson’s, stroke)
- More worrisome causes (i.e. tumors ) usually present with other accompanying signs and symptoms.